Weekly writing project each part is due thursday
ACG 4671– WRITING PROJECT AND PRESENTATION
The owner of ABC Co. has asked your to look into a possible issue with the company’s accounts payable. They have provided you with the detail for the accounts payable account. You will be conducting some procedures for ABC Co. and analyzing the results. There is concern that approval processes are not being followed, including lack of approval and thresholds not being monitored.
The company has 4 managers: Tom Cruz, Harry Cruz, Laura Rollins, Mike Keller. The company has 5 accounts payable processors: Alan Kind, Becky Cole, Carla Anderson, Doug Gills, and Rhonda Smith. Only Alan Kind and Becky Cole have authority to approve cash disbursements. Any check disbursement must be approved by at least one manager. Any expenditure over $500 should have two approvals by managers.
COURSE OBJECTIVES COVERED: 1-5
· This project is split into four (4) parts with one (1) part due each week of the course. Based on your readings, use of technology, research of literature, and other sources do the following:
- Part 1-Review the Accounts Payable Process flowchart given to you by the owner of ABC Co. Based on the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct, prepare a 1-2 page summary in the form of an engagement letter of what type of service you plan to perform for the company and how you plan to proceed to address the owner’s concerns.
- Part 2-Using the Accounts Payable Detail file and the process flowchart provided in Part 1 perform some analytical tests.
- You will need to perform some analytical tests on the accounts payable detail account file using IDEA that you think may be necessary. Remember there are tutorial videos on the IDEA website to assist you. Write a 1-2 sentence explanation for each analysis you are performing and print screen your results along with the history log when you have completed the analysis in IDEA to turn in this week.
- Part 3-Prepare a 2-3 page analysis discussing what you found as a result of your analysis and what internal controls you would recommend to the owner of ABC Co.
- Part 4-Present your project to the class for discussion
· The report should be should be 4-5 pages in total for the entire project (not including cover page, abstract, or references)
· Include the Excel and IDEA screenshot(s) or files as exhibits in your paper
· Include a minimum of 2 scholarly sources from the KU Library and the AICPA
o All sources used are to be cited in APA format
o Please use the writing center if needed
· You will be using Excel and IDEA to perform some analysis and results will be included as an exhibit to your paper
· You will be presenting your findings from the project to the class using the voice-over feature in PowerPoint or YouTube. Please be sure the audio is clear and the file or link is accessible in the Week 4 Presentation discussion board.
· You will be collaborating with other classmates on their presentations and answering any questions about your own presentation.
ASSIGNMENT DUE DATE SCHEDULE:
· Week 1: Submit your part 1 summary
· Week 2: Submit your part 2 Excel and IDEA results
· Week 3: Submit your part 3 analysis
· Week 4: Present and discuss your project
FASB Codification/AAA Student Log in Access
Keiser University subscription to the Academic Accounting Access to FASB Accounting Standards Codification Professional View and Governmental Accounting Research System (GARS) Online for September 2017 – August 2018:
Username – AAA53060
Password – 7RHs3pS
Here is an explanation with screen shots to show you how to use the FASB Codification FASBCodificationInstructions.doc
- IDEA Software files to load in and resourcesPlease download the software and review the other reference material provided. Remember to follow the instructions carefully (the instructions are above). You will be using this software to complete assignments in this class. If you are unable to load in this software due to your operating system, you may use Microsoft Access but this is not perferred.
Demo PowerPoint for IDEA Software IDEA Workbook Demo – Workbook Section 3.pptx
Workbook version 10: IDEA Data Analysis Workbook.pdf
Workbook version 9: IDEA 9.0 Workbook.pdf
Additional Videos: http://www.audimation.com/Resources/Video-Gallery/emodule/1675/egallery/17
Link to download the software (this does take several minutes) There is no key coded needed it is preset into the download:
When you download Zip file, you will need to “Extract” and this will create a new folder location with the unzipped files. Then run setup.exe and the license key should be preconfigured within the software for installation i.e. it will already entered in the license key screen.
CaseWare IDEA® Bulk Student License
Fully functional version of . IDEA may be installed on multiple computers to provide students with hands-on experience with data analysis techniques including sampling, aging, fraud detection and cost analysis. Educators are provided with full support and maintenance.