1. According to Shklovsky, what are the downsides to human perception (how we see things) becoming “habitual” or “automatic”?
2. In the opening of the article he compares this type of habitual perception to algebra. Explain this comparison. Can you think of an example where something you know very well becomes easy to skip over, not notice, or understood quickly without fully perceiving it?
3. What does he say “capitalization devours”? What does art exist to recover? Why is this important in the author’s opinion? In your own opinion?
4. Shklovsky gives many references to Russian literature and it’s ok if any of the names/references are not known to you. For our purposes, we will focus on one; he describes, at length, a scene from Tolstoy’s famous novel War and Peace. What was Tolstoy’s technique of describing war/battles? When Tolstoy employed this technique of “making strange the familiar” throughout his lengthy novels–why did the public/readers at the time (think of the context of pre-Revolutionary Russia) react “painfully wounded”? Cite the example Shklovsky gives.
5. Now consider your own culture/context and reflect. Has there been a moment where a film, TV show, painting, book, poem, song (any form of media) presented something sacred, traditional, incredibly common–essentially understood in one way and “defamiliarized it” –what was the public’s reaction? You are encouraged to use multimodal evidence here (pictures, screenshots, media, etc).
For example: For me, I remember photographing kitchens everywhere I traveled. These were ordinary, humble kitchens. The people I would stay with would always feel very confused. They would say, “it’s just a kitchen!– we will take you to sightsee to take photos! It will not be a good photo!” But as a traveler, (a stranger), I found everyday objects looked very unique and special to me again, something that rarely happens in my own kitchen unless I am in an artistic mindset (a defamiliarizing perception)–when the hosts would view my photos they would often feel surprised. This is my moment of as Shklovsky says: “making the stone, stony again.” See my photos at the bottom of this page ** and comment if you like.
6. On language and word choice–Shklovsky cites Aristotle who called poetic language as something “strange and wondrous”,
Shklovsky goes on to define prose as “ordinary speech” and poetic language as “formed speech”–it is a “roughened language.”
I do not feel this formed speech must exist in the form of poetry alone. As we know, Tolstoy did this in his 1000 page novels.
Find an example of something we have read thus far where the word choice, the style of the sentence, the use of imagery is somehow roughened, defamiliarized so that we pay attention to it. What effect does it have on the audience? How does it help the author portray their message? How does it speak to/ offend/ surprise/ awaken the context it is being written in?
*Bonus: GA paper tip. If you have begun reading the short stories (Kafka, O’Brien, Hemon) you might use this question as you read to pay attention to style, phrasing, word choice, etc.
7. Reflection: look again at this section of the essay and connect the ideas here to those presented in the other essay you read, Czeslaw Milosz “Notes on Exile.” Write an approx 150-word response on how art and exile mentality (being the stranger, being estranged) go together, helps as Milosz says, “We see through our self-delusions.” For more information on Visual Perception check on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_perception
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.