The midterm is a “take home” exam. It will account for 100 points and 20% of the course grade. Refer to the relevant reading and lecture materials. View the contextual statements, transitions, and questions in the paragraph below. Provide a thorough essay answer that clearly addresses all of the questions. You should send your finished essay as a Word document to my email address by 12:00 pm on Saturday, April 17th. There is no “minimum” page requirement for answering the questions. Good luck.
Many urban scholars see the postindustrial city as a local site for the expression of contemporary class and race conflicts. Such conflicts take place regarding private investment, housing, access to jobs, lifestyle differences, commerce, education, public services, and neighborhood “turf.”
1) The rise of “neoliberal” economic conditions has reshaped and expanded patterns of social inequality globally, nationally, and locally. Elite segments have grown wealthier and more powerful in the neoliberal era. For Brash, what are the TCC and the PMC respectively, and why were these groupings significant in the context of New York’s transformation in the Bloomberg era? Elaborate.
2) What does Brash mean by the term “luxury city” and how did the Bloomberg administration go about promoting this feature of neoliberalization in the city of New York? Explain.
3) Broadly speaking, the postwar rise of the new middle class has been tied to the development of postindustrial social conditions by scholars such as C. Wright Mills and Daniel Bell. What trends account for the transformation and relative decline of the broad middle classes in the U.S. since the 1980s? Elaborate.
4) The decline of middle-class opportunities in recent decades is also apparently linked to the creation of a controversial “underclass debate” among scholars, policy advocates, and politicians. Indeed, many U.S. cities have developed “hyperghettoes” where the most severe urban problems are located. What are the key features of a hyperghetto discussed in lecture? Explain.
5) Rios argues that one of the responses to such urban problems in East Oakland (and other places) is the “criminalization” of youth. Why does Rios argue that not only criminal justice institutions (police, courts, etc.) but also other community institutions and participants are part of the criminalization of youth in Oakland? Explain.
6) Why do these young males feel that in the context of neighborhood life, they must choose between freedom versus dignity, and how does this explain the strategy of choosing “deviant politics?” Elaborate.
For more information on Urban Sociology read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_sociology
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.