Kelo v. City of New London
Facts of the case
New London, a city in Connecticut, used its eminent domain authority to seize private property to sell to private developers. The city said developing the land would create jobs and increase tax revenues. Susette Kelo and others whose property was seized sued New London in state court. The property owners argued the city violated the Fifth Amendment’s takings clause, which guaranteed the government will not take private property for public use without just compensation. Specifically, the property owners argued taking private property to sell to private developers was not public use. The Connecticut Supreme Court ruled for New London.
Does a city violate the Fifth Amendment’s takings clause if the city takes private property and sells it for private development, with the hopes the development will help the city’s bad economy?
No. in a 5-4 opinion delivered by Justice John Paul Stevens, the majority held that the city’s taking of private property to sell for private development qualified as a “public use” within the meaning of the takings clause. The city was not taking the land simply to benefit a certain group of private individuals, but was following an economic development plan. Such justifications for land takings, the majority argued, should be given deference. The takings here qualified as “public use” despite the fact that the land was not going to be used by the public. The Fifth Amendment did not require “literal” public use, the majority said, but the “broader and more natural interpretation of public use as ‘public purpose.'”
Writing Assignment –
Open the following Oyez.org web page: https://www.oyez.org/cases/2004/04-108. Read the syllabus and the summary of the case (links provided on website). Then listen (and read along) with the Oral Arguments of the Case made by Kelo’s attorney, Scott Bullock and New London’s attorney, Wesley W. Horton. Then listen to the opinion given by the court (Justice Stevens). Read the excerpts from the dissenting opinion (Justice O’Connor).
This Assignment is NOT to be in essay form. Simply list and THOROUGHLY answer the questions. Here you are not working on the structure of your papers, but rather refining your ability to convey information with clarity and make compelling arguments!!!
Answer the following:
1. What is eminent domain? Is it an appropriate power of the government?
2. What restrictions – if any – does the Fifth Amendment place on the exercise of eminent domain (“nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation”)?
3. What was the Supreme Court’s decision in Kelo v. City of New London?
4. Read the Fifth Amendment again. Do you think our founding fathers would approve of the Kelo decision? Does it matter? Does private economic development satisfy the “public use” requirement? Is it appropriate for either the state or national government to seize property from one private entity (an individual citizen like Suzette Kelo) and grant it to another private entity (a corporation like Pfizer)?
5. Which political body decides what is “public use” and what is not?
6. Is the “public use” requirement read too broadly, too narrowly or exactly right in the case of Berman v. Parker (1954).
7. Interpret the political cartoon from Gary Brookins below, which was published immediately following the case. Explain its message?
8. If you were a Justice on the Court, how would you rule in this case? Do you agree with Justice Stevens or Justice O’Connor? Explain your argument while discussing the tension between individual liberty vs. the “public good.”
For more information on The City Of New London read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_London,_Connecticut
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.