Watch the videos from the CUNY Teaching Bilinguals Web Series, found at:
Create a document in which you answer the questions related to each video. Please respond thoughtfully and robustly, with details and examples. Must be in APA format.
Questions for Videos
Video 1: Getting Acquainted
1. New York and Florida are states with a large population of students whose first language is not English. According to Sara Vogel, in New York, these students were often forced to speak English or remain silent. What language practices did you experience when you were in school in Florida (or elsewhere). What practices have you seen in your previous field experiences?
2. Puerto Rican and other activists in New York in the 1960s and 1970s, with some degree of success, advocated for bilingual education. Which groups advocated for English language learners in Florida in the 1980s, resulting in the 1990 Florida Consent Decree? What did the Consent Decree accomplish?
3. Define “translanguaging”. What is your opinion of this practice?
Video 2: Being an Advocate for Bilingual Students
1. How does Ms. Conte use students’ backgrounds as resources in their learning? Give two additional ideas to implement.
2. How does reading books featuring multicultural/multilingual characters create a culture of inclusion? Have you participated in this practice in the classroom, as a student, a teacher, or an observer? Describe your experience.
3. How can English speakers profit from exposure to bilingual books?
4. Conte, being monolingual, was uncomfortable about her students speaking in languages she didn’t understand. She felt that she would lose control of the classroom. What did she find out? What are your thoughts about not controlling everything that goes on in the classroom?
Video 3: Bilingual Superpowers
1. What are benefits of graphic novels?
2. Describe the process Ms. Ballantyne-Berry uses with her graphic novel assignment.
3. How does Ms. Ballantyne-Berry use students’ language repertoire as a resource?
Video 4: Knowing your Students
1. Chapman-Santiago reads a quote from Harper Lee’s novel To Kill a Mockingbird. How does this quote apply to a teacher’s work?
2. What might you learn by carefully watching the cues students send through body language and facial expressions? Describe an example from when you were a student, or when you taught or observed a class.
3. What information can a teacher gain by encouraging students to use their home language?
4. What are some practical ways to incorporate home language as a scaffold?
Video 5: The Benefits of Bilingual Education
1. What does Sara Vogel mean when she states in her introduction to the video that teachers can “push for more” in promoting their students’ learning?
2. Aponte says that reading the book My name is Jorge on Both Sides of the River has changed her students’ lives. Describe what you think is the impact of the book on students.
3. What is the goal of bilingual education programs?
For more information on Teaching Bilinguals read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilingual_education
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.