Sociology of the Family
Final Paper: Television and Family
Over the course of the semester, we have studied how the family has changed throughout the 20th century. Some of these changes are reflected through media representations. At the same time, media representations of family have historically been rather unrepresentative in their portrayal of diverse family types. Using television shows, you will examine how the extent to which changes in the family are accurately represented in media. Through this analysis, you should draw comparisons between documented changes in family type and structure over the past few decades, and media portrayals of families. This paper is an opportunity for you to do sociology, as well as will allow you to demonstrate your understanding of the family as a social institution.
In a 4 page paper, you are going to analyze the changing media representation of the family. Specifically, you must choose 2 sitcoms from 2 different decades that represent the family. In your paper you must address the following questions (in essay format, not question/answer).
• What is the structure of the family/families portrayed in your sitcoms (some sitcoms may focus on a single family, others multiple families)? If there are multiple families, is the structure similar in all, or very diverse?
• How are the family structures different in the two decades? Explain why they are different by tying your analysis to the text’s discussion of how the definition of family has changed over time. Discuss some of the recent trends in families including single parents, gay/lesbian families, grandparents as parents, etc.
• Do the families represented in your chosen sitcoms perpetuate any of the myths about the family? Which ones? Again, tie this discussion to the course text and readings.
• What are the racial/ethnic based strengths and stresses that are portrayed in your sitcoms? Have they changed over time? Give specific examples.
• How are gender roles and gender role socialization portrayed in your sitcoms? Do the roles of men and women change over time? Give specific examples.
• What are the romantic relationships included in your families, and how are they represented? Do these kinds of relationships change over time? Why?
• Is parenting represented in your sitcoms? How? What roles do fathers and mothers play? Are both mothers and fathers present? What specific parenting styles are used?
• How is the balance between home and work life represented?
• Are any of the negative aspects of family life represented? Is there abuse? Divorce?
In your analysis you must include at least 5 concepts/terms discussed in class.
Frank F. Furstenberg, Jr., “Diverging Development: The Not- So-Invisible Hand of Social Class in the United States” (R518).
Annette Lareau, “Unequal Childhoods: Inequalities and the Rhythms of Daily Life” (R539)
Georgiann Davis, “Parents as Pawns: Intersex, Medical Experts, and Questionable Consent” (R441)
Robert Green, “From Outlaws to In-Laws: Gay and Lesbian Couples in Contemporary Society” (R214)
Raine Dozier, “The Power of Queer: How “Guy Moms” Challenge Heteronormative Assumptions about Mothering and Family” (R458)
For more information on Sociology Of The Family read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociology_of_the_family
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.