For this assignment, I want you to write an explication of a short story from your book that we have not covered in class. This explication should be three to four pages in length and should follow all MLA guidelines. For this assignment, you will not need to do any outside research. The only tools you will need are your textbook and perhaps a dictionary. Below you will find some suggestions for how to approach this assignment.
1. The most efficient way to begin is to read the story you have chosen and decide the theme of the work. Why did the author feel the need to write this story? What message is she trying to communicate to you through the work? After deciding upon the theme, write it down in your own words.
2. Now that you have the theme, go back through the story and look for the tools the writer uses to communicate this theme. These tools will be the topics we have covered in class (and the chapters we have read for homework) such as tone, characters, diction, point of view, and so on. Once you have found the tools that the writer uses, you are ready to begin the explication.
3. The explication of the story should not simply cover the events that happened. Do not simply recount the plot to me. Instead, show me how the tools you have focused on convey the theme. Show me that the theme you claim to see in the story is accurate because the tools you have found prove it.
4. If you need to use a dictionary (and I believe most everyone will want to), I suggest using the Oxford English Dictionary or the American Heritage College Dictionary. Both of these dictionaries can be found in any public or college library. Please remember that if you do use a dictionary, you will need to include a works cited entry for that dictionary.
5. You will need to have a works cited page that must include the textbook as the source of the literature analyzed and any other resources you used in the paper. Please also note that all assignments must be formatted according to MLA standards. Assignments must also follow the suggestions on the “Writer’s Reminders” sheet. Assignments that do not follow the above requirements will not be graded.
*** I can send pictures of the short story.
“Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?” Author: Joyce Carol Oates
For more information on Short Story Explication read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_story
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.