Race | Sociology homework help
July 30th, 2020
Video. Racial Stereotypes and Discrimination
- Dr. Jacobson (Yale) discusses why race is important in our society. List a couple of his reasons, then think about other ways race can impact people in our society on a regular basis.
- Research the Naturalization Act of 1790 and discuss why it was important to US race relations.
- Make a list of stereotypes you have heard based on race and discuss why you think they continue to exist.
- In the video a woman describes many groups in US history who “took their turn” being victims of discrimination; please list those groups.
- What kind of family formation is experienced by African American families today?
Race and Ethnicity: Improvement is Better than Assistance? Race, Spending, and Patterns of Inequality
- These slides focus on people’s opinions of government spending on assistance to African Americans. What do you think are the common stereotypes Americans have about poor African Americans? List some.
- List at least two reasons African Americans may be seen as victims in America.
- The reparation movement has been very active in the last 10 years and has made suggestions in specific areas for the government to “invest” in African American communities.
- Are there any other groups that need government assistance as much as African Americans?
- If people don’t like giving “assistance,” what do these slides show about “investing” in people instead? Please discuss your views.