Paula hog | Literature homework help
Assignment 3: Cultural Activity Report
Due Week 10 and worth 100 points
As a way of experiencing the Humanities beyond your classroom, computer, and textbook, you are asked to do a certain type of “cultural activity” that fits well with our course and then report on your experience. Your instructor will require you to propose an activity and get instructor approval before you do it and report on it (students should look for any instructions in that respect). Every effort should be made to ensure that this is a hands-on experience (not a virtual one), that this activity fits the HUM 111 class well, and that the activity is of sufficient quality for this university course. The two (2) key types of activities are a museum visit or a performance. Note: This must not be a report on the same activity (and certainly not the same report) as done for another class, like HUM 112. For instance, one might go to the same museum as done for HUM 112, but this HUM 111 report will focus on entirely different works and displays.
- Visit a museum or gallery exhibition or attend a theater or musical performance before the end of Week 10. The activity (museum or performance) should have content that fits our course well. Have fun doing this.
- Write a two to three (2-3) page report (500-750 words) that describes your experience.
- Clearly identify the event location, date attended, the attendees, and your initial reaction upon arriving at the event.
- Provide specific information and a description of at least two (2) pieces (e.g., art, exhibits, music, etc.).
- Provide a summary of the event and describe your overall reaction after attending the event.
- Use at least the class text as a reference (additional sources are fine, not necessary unless required by your content). Your report should include connections you make between things observed in your activity and things learned in the course and text.
Note: Submit your cultural activity choice to the instructor for approval before the end of Week 5 (earlier is even better). Look for guidance from the instructor for how or where to make your proposal. You may also seek advice from your instructor (provide your town/state or zip code) for a good activity in your general area.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA style format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions. (Note: Students can find APA style materials located in the course shell for reference).
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
Alternate Assignment: I know that for some people, attending a cultural event may be problematic for a variety of reasons. If you cannot attend a live museum tour, concert, or play, here is the alternative assignment. You can watch this play, and adaptation of the show ‘Amadeus’ and write your paper based on this show. Now, this is not a Broadway show, it is a community theater presentation from a local university near where I live (I actually taught most of the people in this show). Just pretend that you are going to this play at the theater, get some popcorn and watch (the show is over two hours, so relax and enjoy), To brief you a bit on this show it presents the dilemma of the composer Antonio Salieri (played by Robert Kowalewski), who is good at his work and well known, but then he meets the composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (played by Logan Williams) and he realizes his own mediocrity compared to the true genius of Mozart. Salieri then schemes to destroy Mozart, while at the same time being the only one who fully understands the true magnificence and brilliance of his rival. For your assignment, watch the show (just click on the video links below, I would not recommend trying to view this on a phone or tablet, it will work best on a computer) and then write a 2 page essay in which you tell me about the play, describing the plot and flow of the show (so I know you watched it) and then critique the show; did you like it? Did you enjoy the actors? etc. Remember, this is just a local community theater show, and you should assess it accordingly. Please make sure you watch it (you do not need to do any outside reasearch), using Google or Wikipedia will not help you with this assignment since their production is unique and different. Just enjoy a fun evening of watching live theater and write your paper on the show: