Liberty and Responsibility: Exploring the foundations of the modern open society (3652)
Final Examination (Semester 1, 2021)
1. This is a take-home final examination in the course: Liberty and Responsibility: Exploring the foundations of the modern open society (3652). The final examination constitutes 100% of the final grade. There are two opportunities to take this examination (Moed A and Moed B). This examination paper contains a total of two-pages (including this one). Please make sure you read all instruction carefully before completing the examination.
2. You have 1 week to complete the examination. You must upload your answers to the Tomagrade examination system as a single file, in Word or PDF format only, and can do so at any time during the examination period. Handwritten answers will not be accepted! Late submissions will not be accepted! Your answers text should not include any identifying information, except your Israeli ID number (if applicable).
3. Once you have submitted your answers, you must print, complete, sign, scan and return the Assignment Integrity Statement as a PDF file to the TA via email:
If you do not submit the Assignment Integrity Statement your examination will not be graded!
4. You have a choice of questions to answer. Answer only two out of the three questions! Each question carries 50% of the total grade. This is an open-book, take-home examination. You may refer to any notes, academic texts (books articles) or other sources for the purpose of answering the questions. You may not confer with other students during the examination. Please cite your sources fully using footnotes (not endnotes). At the start of each answer simply write the number of question you are answering: (1), (2), or (3). There is no need to copy the text of the question into your answer.
5. Yours answers must be typed using size 12 Times New Roman font, using a line spacing of 1.5. You may write your answers in English or in Hebrew. Each answer should not exceed 2.5 pages, including everything. You may use bold and/or underline to emphasize key points, but please do this sparingly to preserve the effect.
6. The questions contain all the information you need to answer fully. Faculty members or the TA cannot answer the questions for you. If you are genuinely unclear about a particular word or phrase, however, and require clarification as to the meaning of the word or phrase, you may email the TA and ask for clarification.
7. Good luck!
Drawing upon the texts we discussed in classes 2, 3, and 4 of the course (Popper, Constant, Berlin) explain in your own words what are “open societies” and how do they differ from “closed societies”. What are the main defining characteristics of open and closed societies? Do these characteristics remain the same or change over the course of history?
In classes 5, 6, and 7 of the course, we discussed the institutional features of modern liberal democracies – the state, democracy, and the rule of law. (A) In your own words, define the main features of modern statehood, democracy, and the rule of law. (B) Choosing one state/country as an example, explain to what extent statehood, democracy, and the rule of law are functioning well or malfunctioning, and why.
In classes 8, 9, 10, and 11 of the course, we examined a number of key challenges to contemporary open societies. Some of these – such as certain types of nationalism and populism – are challenges that we have experienced in the past, whereas others – such as existential risk from climate and emerging disruptive technologies or the effects of social media on democratic politics – are new. Focusing on two challenges of your choice, analyze the challenges and offer possible ways with which these challenges can best be managed or resolved.
[END OF EXAMINATION TEXT]
For more information on Moral Responsibility read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_responsibility
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.