LINDA: In crisis over her pregnancy:
Assume that you are a counselor in a community mental-health clinic, that you have a Gestalt orientation, and that the counselor at the local high school tells you about Linda, a 15-year-old client he has seen several times. He feels that she needs further counseling, but he is limited by a school policy that does not permit personal counseling of any duration. He would like for you to see her for at least three months, as she is facing some difficult decisions. Here is what you learn about her from the counselor.
Some Background Data:
Linda comes from a close-knit family, and in general she feels that she can seek her parents out when she has problems. But now she says that she just cannot turn to them in this time of crisis. Even though she and her boyfriend had been engaging in sexual intercourse for a year without using birth-control measures, she was convinced that she would not get pregnant. When she did learn that she was pregnant, she expected that her 16-year-old boyfriend would agree to get married. He did not agree, and he even questioned whether he was the father. She felt deeply hurt and angry over this.
On the advice of a girlfriend, she considered an abortion for a time. But she decided against it because she felt she could not deal with the guilt of terminating a life within her. The possibility of putting her child up for adoption was suggested to her. But she felt this to be totally unacceptable, because she was sure she could not live knowing that she had created a life and then “abandoned” the child. She considered having her baby and becoming a single parent. Yet when the counselor pointed out all the realities involved in this choice, she could see that this option would not work –unless she told her parents and lived with them, which she was sure she could not do. Her pregnancy is moving toward the advanced stages, and her panic is mounting.
Questions to answer:
Linda agrees to work with you for several months and you will be using Gestalt procedures with her.
1. What do you imagine would be your initial reactions and responses to the counselor’s account? What might your first words be to Linda after you were introduced to her? What do you think you would most want to say to her?
2. What are your values as they relate to the above matters, and what role do you see your values playing in the approach you will take with Linda? Might you be inclined to share your values, so that she knows where you stand? Might you be inclined to push your values and thus steer counseling in a particular direction?
3. At some point you might work with Linda’s feelings of anger and hurt toward her boyfriend. What Gestalt techniques can you think of to help her explore these feelings? What techniques could you use to work with her feelings of guilt over not having lived up to her parents’ high expectations? What other Gestalt approaches might you use (with what expected outcomes) to explore with Linda her other feelings associated with being pregnant
4. As you proceed with Linda, what importance will you place on her nonverbal communication? Can you think of examples of how Linda’s body messages might contradict her words?
5. What are the limitations, if any, of staying within a Gestalt framework in this case? Do you feel that you could say and do what you would like within this theory?
6. What are some advantages of using a Gestalt perspective in this case?
Please use below:
Reference: Corey, G. (2016). Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy (10th ed.). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.
For more information on Mental-Health Clinic read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatric_hospital
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.