Watch ghandi (1982 )_and answer these questions
1. Gandhi was a truly remarkable man and one of the most influential leaders of the 20th century. In 2000, Gandhi was voted the greatest man of the past 1,000 years in a poll by BBC News Online. What qualities caused tens of millions to follow this small, unassuming in his mission to liberate India from the British?
2. Consider Gandhi’s speech (about 30 minutes into the film) to the crowd regarding General Smuts’s new law (fingerprinting Indians, only Christian marriage will be considered valid, police can enter any home without warrant, etc.). The crowd is outraged and cries out for revenge and violence as a response to the British. This is a pivotal moment in Gandhi’s leadership. What does he do to get them to agree to a non-violent response? Why do they follow him?
3. Consider Gandhi’s response to the other injustices depicted in the film (e.g., his burning of the passes in South Africa that symbolize second-class citizenship, his request that the British leave the country after the Massacre at Amritsar, his call for a general strike—a “day of prayer and fasting”—in response to an unjust law, his refusal to pay bail after an unjust arrest, his fasts to compel the Indian people to change, his call to burn and boycott British-made clothing, his decision to produce salt in defiance of the British monopoly on salt manufacturing).
What common thread, if any, do we see in these responses that might be instructive for political leaders of today?
4. Comment on the methods Gandhi used to effect change, in particular his disposition to be patient and non-retaliatory in the face of injustice. Do you agree with Gandhi’s saying that “poverty is the worst form of violence”?
5. Describe what happened at Amritsar and say why it marked a turning point in Gandhi’s attitude towards the British.
6. During the Hindu/Muslim riots shown in the film, one man came to Gandhi and asked for help. The man said that he had killed children of the other religion and that he knew he would be condemned to hell for that. What advice did Gandhi give him?
7. What parts of Gandhi’s character would you like others to emulate ?
8. Gandhi said “We must not hate the British. They have not taken India from us. We have given it to them.” What did he mean by this and how does it apply to any revolution through mass nonviolent action?
9. What are the limits of nonviolence and civil disobedience? Comment on Gandhi’s suspension of the non-cooperation movement owing to the violent incident at Chauri Chaura in 1922?
10. How did Gandhi’s embrace of religious pluralism inform his politics?
For more information on Mahatma Gandhi read this: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.