Practice expressing your ideas clearly and concisely in writing.
Practice critical thinking by evaluating theories and constructing your own argument.
Demonstrate knowledge of key concepts and arguments in Epistemology including indirect realism, idealism, materialism, primary and secondary qualities.
Critique your own argument.
Resources (found in Modules: Personal Identity, Overview).
Refer to Stich Chapter 6
For the Galileo case, refer to Stich and Donaldson “Discussion Question #4” page 117.
DO NOT USE THE INTERNET OR OTHER OUTSIDE SOURCES FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT. USE ONLY THE TEXT. IF YOU USE OUTSIDE SOURCES YOU, WILL HAVE TO REDO THE ASSIGNMENT.
Write 4-5 paragraphs that address the following question:
In The Assayer, Galileo wrote: “If living creature were removed, [tastes, odors, and colors] would be wiped away and annihilated.” Galileo is suggesting that if there weren’t any animals or people with senses such as tasting, smelling and seeing, then there would be no such thing as tastes, odors, or colors. These properties or qualities are wholly dependent on there being creatures to perceive them.
“Do you agree with Galileo that if living creatures (animals and people) were removed, then there would be no tastes, odors, and colors? Why or why not? ” Use the template below for your answer.
The basic signposting in your response is: (do not number paragraphs)
(1) Explain the Galileo’s idea briefly to your reader who does not know the case. [Focus on relevant details you will need to support your position.]
(2) I think ________, because ________. [State your thesis. Fill in the blank with (1) “agree with Galileo that without living creatures tastes, odors, and colors would not exist” or (2) “Disagree with Galileo. Tastes, odors, and colors would exist without any living creatures to perceive them.” Follow this thesis with sufficient explanation of an argument to support your position. That is, give a reason WHY you think tastes, odors, and colors would or would not exist without living creatures.
(3) My argument seems to rely on the ______ . Fill in the blank with (1) “Locke’s indirect realism and the distinction between primary and secondary qualities” or (2) “Berkeley’s idealism.” [Explain how this theory it supports your argument. If you explain Locke’s theory you also should define and explain indirect realism as well as Primary and Secondary qualities. Use examples. If you explain Berkeley’s theory, you also should define and explain Idealism and Materialism.]
(4) One might object that _______. [Fill in the blank with a possible objection to the claim you support. You may use critiques from the Stich and Donaldson].
(5) Give a brief response to the objection.
Professional Writing Tips:
Include citations in every paragraph as (author, year, page number). Include bibliography at the end.
* Do NOT use the internet. Use the Stich and Donaldson or chapter only. Use of the internet will result in a failing grade.
* Write in essay style with paragraphs that connect with signposting. Keep your paragraphs separate (write one topic per paragraph).
For more information on Idea–Expression Distinction read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idea%E2%80%93expression_distinction#
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.