Hum 111 week 9 discussion (four different version answer posted
HUM 111 WEEK 9 DISCUSSION
“Reform” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
• Compare Erasmus and Luther in their attempts to bring about religious reform. Consider the role of the printing press and the actions of German princes in helping Luther to succeed. Next, identify one (1) example of the Protestant Reformation’s impact on visual arts. Pretend you are in a company or some other group in which you feel there is corruption. (Use a real incident if you wish). You have the option of remaining and working for reform from within, or of leaving and hoping to start or land something new. Describe your decision and the “dangers” of that decision, and describe the factors that you had to consider.
• Chapter 17 (pp. 571-3), Erasmus; (pp. 573-7), Reformation and the princes; (pp. 570-1; 579-580), printing press; (pp. 587-591), visual arts; review Week 9 Music Folder
“Global Encounters” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
• Explain at least two (2) possible reasons for the differences between the results of exploration and trade by the Chinese and by the European states. Consider the reach of the Chinese Treasure Fleet and the global empires that Spain and Portugal established. Identify one (1) statistic or aspect of the transatlantic slave trade that you find most revealing about the human cost of European expansion into the New World. Slavery has been an accepted part of most societies covered in this course, though in the future most would seek its abolition. Discuss the implications of this for human progress.
Global Encounters: Achievements and Exploitation
• Chapter 18 (pp. 618-620), China’s Treasure Fleet; review Week 9 Music Folder
• Chinese explorers at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/ancient-chinese-explorers.html and http://www.alrahalah.com/2010/09/zheng-he/
• Large ship replica: http://www.alrahalah.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/TreasureShip.jpg
• Chapter 18 (pp. 596-604), Spain and Portugal: empire building; quick conquest
• Chapter 18 (pp. 601, 604-607, 612-613), transatlantic slave trade
• Transatlantic slave trade at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1p277.html
FOUR DIFFERENT ANSWER VERSIONS POSTED AS A BONUS CHOOSE ANYONE