Food as Culture and Social Practice
1. Food preparation and presentation can be viewed as an art form and process involving an aesthetics of taste, visual form, materials and ingredients, techniques, and technology contextualized through the lens of environment, gender and social structures. Examples of food preparation and presentation as art form and process are in the pabalat and fruit carving of Bulacan, puso rice wrapping of the Visayas, San Nicolas cookies of Pampanga, and alfajor cookies of Negros Occidental. There are festivals in the Philippines celebrating certain cuisines, food or agricultural products such as lechon, kesong puti, bangus, ang talong. The study of food as art and expressive culture can extend to food associated with rituals such as the atang of the Ilocanos, and food taboos based on religious beliefs, as well as performative practices such as the salo-salo, sarsawan, and kamayan.
2. You may read Counihan Carole and Penny van Esterik, eds. (1997). Food and Culture: A Reader.New York: Routledge. BKFoodandCultureAReader3dEd.pdf download
3. Interview (face-to-face in the comfort of your home or on-line) a local cook about a traditional process of cooking, such as suman-making. Make a short video or simply write about its process of cooking and/or preparation. Include a brief explanation of its significance as a cultural practice; describe it in terms of taste, presentation, and valuation/memory of place/context of consumption.
4. Post this below and make sure to comment on a post of two of your classmates
5. Title your post with the name of the food, followed by its provenance (place of origin).
Compare a Philippine film which has a remake or adaptation, and discuss how popular culture has influenced the two versions. Post below your observation and comment on a post of two of your classmates. You may start posting your work, of course, even before the due date.
For more information on Food as Culture and Social Practice read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociology_of_food
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.