THIS WEEK’S OBJECTIVES:
1. To provide students with an overview of the development of the concept of culture and its study using historical figures from classic, 20th century anthropology
2. To provide a frame that helps students read and understand two classic texts, Geertz’s “The “Deep Play:notes on the Balinese cockfight”
3. To help students understand, define and describe “culture” and its main characteristics.
1. Video: Prof. Brusi’s mini-lecture (2 lectures in one, for both weeks 3 and 4)
2. Video: Kelli Swazey, anthropologist, talking about “life that does not end with death”. (week 3)
3. Reading: C.Geertz’s “Deep play:notes on the Balinese cockfight” (week 3)
4. Reading: M.Harris’s “Mother Cow” (week 4)
WHILE YOU WATCH THE MINI-LECTURE, LOOK FOR AND TAKE NOTES ABOUT:
1. How is Malinowski’s anthropological method different from Tylor?
2. What is the difference between Clifford Geertz and Marvin Harris?
3. What are the characteristics of culture? List them and also describe them. Think about examples, especially examples different from what I offer in lecture.
4. A good exercise: link some of the characteristics of culture with the anthropologists that used them or made them part of the discipline.
WHILE YOU READ GEERTZ’S “DEEP PLAY”, (week 3) LOOK FOR AND TAKE NOTES ABOUT:
5. Note that, like Jason de León, he starts with stories of him in the fieldsite. What is this story? How is the story connected with the analysis he makes of cockfights?
6. How did they became no longer invisible? Why did that happen?
7. What does the author mean when he says that Balinese men identify with their cocks?
8. Why do you think the title of the essay is “deep play”? What does ”deep play’ mean in this context?
WHILE YOU SWAZEY’S TED TALK (week3), LOOK FOR AND TAKE NOTES ABOUT:
9. How does she describe funeral rites among the Tana Toraja?
10. What meaning do they attach to these practices?
WHILE READING “MOTHER COW” and the book’s PREFACE , (week4) LOOK FOR AND TAKE NOTES ABOUT:
1. What is Harris’s position, according to the preface? What is his purpose in this book?
2. What are the reasons Hindus gave for not killing cows, the kinds of explanations Harris is arguing against?
3. Write down all the “real, practical, material” reasons Harris offers to explain why cows are not butchered for meat.
4. What are the differences between Geertz and Harris? In other words, what would Geertz look at if looking at the same phenomenon Harris is describing?
For more information on Concept Of Culture read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.