Compare and contrast the teachings of jesus and buddha
May 12th, 2020
- Compare and contrast the teachings of Jesus and Buddha. What are some main differences between Buddhism and Christianity, Judaism, and Islam?
- How might Jesus have responded to the following line from the Buddha’s sermons: “… he in whom self has become extinct … will desire neither worldly nor heavenly pleasures”? How might the Buddha have responded to the following line from the Sermon on the Mount: “You must … be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect”?
- How would Augustine of Hippo respond to Buddhism’s Four Noble Truths? How would a Roman stoic respond to the Truths?
- What powers and authority did the Church exercise in medieval society?
- Illustrate and provide support for the ways in which the Church played both a religious and secular role in medieval society.
- How could we apply the ideas of the Renaissance to our own times and create a rebirth in our own communities?
- What would this rebirth look like? Provide specific examples using your city. Please make sure to address the role of the arts in your answer.
- Discuss the three landmarks that you consider most important to the phenomenon known as the Protestant Reformation. Why and how were these significant?
- Which have most deeply influenced and/or survived into our own time?