Case study 1: applying theory to practice
Social scientists have proposed a number of theories to explain juvenile delinquency. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. For this assignment, go to the following Website, located at http://listverse.com/2011/05/14/top-10-young-killers/ and select one of the juvenile case studies.
After reading the case, select one (1) of the psychological theories discussed in Chapter 4 of the text.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Summarize three (3) key aspects of the juvenile case study that you selected.
- Highlight at least three (3) factors that you believe are important for one to understand the origins of the juvenile’s delinquent behavior.
- Apply at least two (2) concepts from the theory that you chose from the text that would help explain the juvenile’s behavior.
- Identify one (1) appropriate strategy geared toward preventing delinquency that is consistent with the theory you chose.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Differentiate between various theoretical explanations for delinquent behavior.
- Illustrate how social factors such as gender, racial and ethnic background, and social class relate to delinquency.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in juvenile delinquency and justice.
- Write clearly and concisely about juvenile delinquency and justice using proper writing mechanics.