Analyze case study | Management homework help
Assignment #2: (Week 7)
Throughout the course students have learned a wide array of business concepts and theories. This assignment is designed to have student demonstrate their knowledge of the material learned in the course applying concepts and theories to a case study.
Outcomes Met With This Assignment:
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- identify the critical business functions and how they interact in order to position the organization to be effective in the current business environment
- explain the importance of the integration of individuals and systems to organizational effectiveness
- describe the ethical and social responsibilities that confront a business
This assignment is the second of two assignments. In this paper, students will analyze and discuss small business growth in terms of growth strategy, business forms, short and medium term goals, financing assistance, organizational structure and staffing needs, customers and promotion, and ethics and social responsibility. Students are expected to apply business and management concepts learned throughout the course to the case study provided.
Take your time in completing the assignment following the steps below:
Step 1: Review “How to Analyze a Case Study” under Week 7 Content. In writing this paper, students are expected to use the facts from the case study focusing on using this information to determine opportunities and solve problems.
Step 2: Create a Word or Rich Text Format (RTF) document that is double-spaced, 12-point font. The final product will be between 5-6 pages in length excluding the title page and reference page.
Step 3: Review the grading rubric for the assignment
Step 4: Follow this format:
- Title page with the title, your name, course number and name; and the instructor’s name;
- Body, in paragraph form. Use the following section headings:
- Growth Strategy
- Business Form
- Financing Assistance
- Organizational Structure and Staffing Needs
- Customers and Promotion
- Ethical Issues and Social Responsibility
Step 5: In writing a case study, the writing is in the third person. What this means is that there are no words such as “I, me, my, we, or us” (first person writing), nor is there use of “you or your” (second person writing). If uncertain how to write in the third person, view this link: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person
Step 6: In writing this assignment, students are asked to support the reasoning using in-text citations and a reference list. A reference within a reference list cannot exist without an associated in-text citation and vice versa. View the sample APA paper under Week 7.
Step 7: In writing this assignment, students are expected to paraphrase and not use direct quotes. Learn to paraphrase by reviewing this link: https://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/QPA_paraphrase2.html
Step 8: Read critically and analyze the scenario provided under Week 7 Content.
Step 9: Write down or highlight key facts from the scenario. Consider making an outline to capture key points in the paper.
Step 10: In your paper, answer the following questions:
- Discuss the steps Jack should take to organize and prioritize his business growth strategy?
- If Jack enjoys all facets of owning a business, what business form best fits his expansion plans, and why?
- Discuss what kind of financing assistance might be available to Jack? Discuss options explaining why these were chosen. Then make a recommendation for the best financing option.
- How might Jack’s staffing needs change? Discuss the best way for Jack to organize, orient, and train his restaurant staff. What kind of organizational structure would work best for Jack’s expanded business? [e.g., vertical hierarchy, functional, teams, flat (horizontal), matrix] to meet the needs of his new business;
- How should Jack deal with his current customers in regard to the change? What kind of promotion should he consider in attracting customers to his new location? Be thorough with the responses.
- What are the ethical issues and potential social responsibilities highlighted by this change in business? (Consider customers, employees, the current and new communities, and other stakeholders.) How might these issues be dealt with most appropriately?
Step 11: Create the introductory paragraph. The introductory paragraph is the first paragraph of the paper but is typically written after writing the body of the paper (Questions students responded to above). View this website to learn how to write an introductory paragraph: http://www.writing.ucsb.edu/faculty/donelan/intro.html
Step 12: Write a summary paragraph. A summary paragraph restates the main idea(s) of the essay. Make sure to leave a reader with a sense that the essay is complete. The summary paragraph is the last paragraph of a paper.
Step 13: Read through the paper to ensure all required elements are presented.
Step 14: Proofread the paper for spelling and grammatical issues, and third person writing.
- Use the spell and grammar check in Word as a first measure;
- Have someone who has excellent English skills to proof the paper;
- Consider submitting the paper to the Effective Writing Center (EWC). The EWC will provide 4-6 areas that may need improvement.
Step 15: Submit the paper in the Assignment Folder.