2. Non-Verbal Communication Kinesics Proxemics Chronemics Haptics Oculesics Paralanguage Components Of Non-Verbal Communication
3. 1st What is PARALANGUAGE? • It is a component of Non-verbal Communication. • It is not related to the content or verbal message or another attribute of speaking like Pitch, Temps, etc … • Paralanguage is the study of non-verbal clues of the voice. • It includes intentional and unintentional nonverbal messages.
4. Paralanguage may be • Complementary. • Unconscious. • Learned.
5. 2nd What is PARALINGUISTICS? • The study of the role of non-verbal clues is called “Paralinguistics”. • This includes Volume, Speed of voice, Intonation, Tone, etc … • We will discuss in brief every content…
6. Clues of Paralinguistics: • Volume of voice • Speed of voice • Intonation • Tone • Pronunciation • Articulation • Pause • Punctuation marks
7. The volume of voice: It is not just, what you say; it is how you say it. When you whisper something, it conveys that you want to hide something. When speaking something aloud, you want it to be heard by all. Moreover, the way whisper or say things aloud conveys something. While addressing an audience, if your volume is not loud enough, it suggests a lack of confidence or shyness. While talking to someone on phone your speaking loudly is suggestive of your lack of good manners and etiquette as well as irritable.
8. Speed of voice: The speed of voice should be such that the listener can follow everything that you are speaking. If you are speaking very fast, they may not connect the previous idea with the next one. Moreover, in the live talk, they can’t even rewind. Similarly, if the speed is very slow then also it is likely that the listener loses connection.
9. Intonation: Stress and Intonation blend together to lend charm to English speech. Intonation means variation of voice or speech. It tells the listener if the message is in form of a question, statement, or exclamation. The emphasis laid on a particular word in a particular manner would decide the meaning.
10. The tone of voice: The Tone tells about the attitude of the speaker. The tone tells about the attitude of the speaker. The tone can be sarcastic, aggressive, critical, nervous, monotonous, disappointed, friendly, enthusiastic, vivid, or persuasive.
11. Pronunciation: The way in which a word is pronounced. Pronunciation is the first thing that people notice during a conversation. For correct pronunciation, knowledge of phonetics is essential. A person should know the difference in the pronunciation of various sounds like /e/ and /æ/ , /Ә/ and /u:/ , etc.
12. Articulation: Articulation is the clarity in your voice. A clearly articulated message indicates competence and confidence. You should speak in such a way that all the words are understood by the listener. If you speak sloppily or mispronounce the words, the listener easily gets distracted and sometimes meaning too changes.
13. Pause: The break a person takes while speaking and its duration is known as “Pause” in paralinguistics. Different meanings are conveyed by Pauses. A Pause can have two different functions: 1. Temporary vocal inaction: This indicates the speaker’s uncertainty, hesitation, tension, or uneasiness. 2. A Pause: This shows favor or disfavor, Agreement, or Disagreement.
14. Punctuation Marks: Generally, Punctuation Marks are very helpful in written form. Appropriate use of punctuation marks brings clarity to the content and prevents confusion. Example: • Go slow, Man at work. • Go, a slow man at work.
15. Summary: • Volume: – Loudness or softness of the voice. • Speed of voice: – The pace with which something is spoken. • Intonation: – Rise and Fall invoice. • Tone of voice: – Feelings added while speaking. • Pronunciation: – The manner in which a word is uttered. • Articulation: – Clarity in the voice. • Pause: – A break taken while speaking. • Punctuation Marks: – The use of conventional symbols and spacing in communication.
16. This is all about the Paralinguistic. Thus, It can be said that your speech quality and tells more than the words you speak. Sometimes people don’t know what they convey through their body language and wrong pronunciations, hence, convey the wrong message unintentionally. Thus, they should know and understand what the component of non-verbal communication means and communicates. If they know the meaning of non-verbal communication’s components, they can even make their communication effective and understand the communication of others in a better way.
17. Resources • Communication Skill By Miss Shreya Thakor • Class-work By Foram Madam • Communication skills for Technical Students By T M Farhathullah • Web Resources.
18. PRESENTATION BY MEET SHAH, PRODUCTION-B, GEC, BHAVNAGAR. ENROLLMENT NO.-140210125111 Do you think that by reading nonverbal patterns of paralanguage can help us to identify our own ethnocentric attitudes?
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.