Ecocentrism: Leopold’s Land Ethic
Read the introduction to Chapter 6 on holism. We are moving beyond individual organisms to environmental wholes. Remember to please try to determine where you stand regarding the main theories of environmental ethics. As we go, the theories become broader and more things have moral status and intrinsic moral value, not just humans (only humans = anthropocentrism). See the explanation that I created on the development of environmental ethics if you haven’t already done that. Find my explanations in the top folder on the assignments page.
Textbook: Louis Pojman and Paul Pojman, Environmental Ethics: Readings in Theory and Application. Seventh Edition
(A) Aldo Leopold, “Ecocentrism: The Land Ethic,” (p. 237 in 7th Ed)
(B) J. Baird Callicott, “The Conceptual Foundations of the Land Ethic,” (p. 248 in 7th Ed.)
Please answer the following questions about the readings.
(A) Four Questions about Aldo Leopold’s Land Ethic.
1. In your own words, explain and summarize the main ideas in the section “The Ecological Conscience.” Give some complaints that he has, too.
2. In your own words, explain and summarize the main ideas in the section “Substitutes for a Land Ethic.” Again, include complaints that he has.
3. In your own words, explain the land pyramid idea in the section “The Land Pyramid.” Explain his complaints, too.
4. In the last section he says, “…to release the evolutionary process for an ethic is simply this: Quit thinking about decent land-use as solely an economic problem. Examine each question in terms of what is ethically and esthetically right, as well as what is economically expedient. A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.”
One thing he says is that the environment is worth more than just how much money (economics) we can make off of it. Do you agree or disagree with any of Leopold’s views that you have read? What exactly do you agree or disagree with. Defend your claims with reasons. Explain why or why not.
B. Three Questions about J. Baird Callicott, “The Conceptual Foundations of the Land Ethic”
1. Callicott explains Leopold’s land ethic. Read sections VII, VIII, and IX. Callicott explains the central theoretical difference between standard ethical theory and Leopold’s new land ethic. Please understand and explain this central difference, and explain why you think this new change is important or not. Why or why not?
2. In section XI, Callicott explains why some philosophers react in “horror” at Leopold’s land ethic. Following Callicott, explain the problem that some philosophers see with the land ethic.
3. In the last section XII, Callicott explains why this “horror” with Leopold’s land ethic is unjustified. What does Callicott say to answer this worry? And is Callicott successful? Does it make sense to you? Why or why not? Give reasons for your views.
Please include all the questions with the answers thank you.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Australia Assessments has gained an international reputation of being the leading website in custom assignment writing services. Once you give us the instructions of your paper through the order form, we will complete the rest.
As we work towards providing the best custom assignment services, our company provides assignment services for any type of academic essay. We will help you develop professionally written essays that are rich in content and free from plagiarism.
Admission and Business Papers
Our skilled team of professional writers will ensure that we help you craft a remarkable admission essay for your desired Master's program in your institution of choice. We won't stop there. Once you enter the job market, we will be available to secure you a position at your desired worksite by creating an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Our editorial team is always available for all editing and proofreading services. They check completed papers by our writers and also provide professional opinions to papers completed by our clients.
We harbor professional academic writers with different qualifications in diverse academic fields. As such, we are capable of handling both simple and technical papers. Ensure that you provide us with correct and complete instructions in the order form.