Introduction to managerial finance : mini-case analysis
Mark Taylor and Jack Rodwell, the owners of Tuxedo Air, have decided to expand their operations. They instructed their newly hired financial analyst, Ed
Cowan, to enlist an underwriter to help sell $35 million in new 10-year bonds to finance construction. Chris has entered into discussions with Suzanne Lenglen,
an underwriter from the firm of Raines and Warren, about which bond features Tuxedo Air should consider and what coupon rate the issue will likely have.
Although Ed is aware of the bond features, he is uncertain about the costs and benefits of some features, so he isn’t sure how each feature would affect the
coupon rate of the bond issue. You are Suzanne’s assistant, and she has asked you to prepare a memo to Ed describing the effect of each of the following bond
features on the coupon rate of the bond. She would also like you to list any advantages or disadvantages of each feature:
1. The security of the bond—that is, whether the bond has collateral.
2. The seniority of the bond.
3. The presence of a sinking fund.
4. A call provision with specified call dates and call prices.
5. A deferred call accompanying the call provision.
6. A Canada plus call provision.
7. Any positive covenants. Also, discuss several possible positive covenants Tuxedo Air might consider.
8. Any negative covenants. Also, discuss several possible negative covenants Tuxedo Air might consider.
9. A conversion feature (note that Tuxedo Air is not a publicly traded company).
10. A floating-rate coupon.
Follow all the Steps and instructions . NO PLAGIARISM.
share ideas, and improve communication skills toward solving a complex business problem.
carefully. Various assigned readings in this course lean toward value investing.
Preparing the Case Analysis
Step 1. (15% of assignment grade)
Be sure to
Step 2. (20% of assignment grade)
It may be helpful to brainstorm as many solutions as you can and then narrow your list down to three or four solutions you feel are the strongest.
Step 3. (35% of assignment grade)
Step 4. (30% of assignment grade)
. The following rubric indicates the criteria students are to adhere to, and their relative weights to the assignment
Activity/Competencies Demonstrated % of Final Grade
Define the problem /15
Formulate alternative solutions to the
Evaluate and compare the alternative
Recommend and justify an effective
a. identify the reasons why the chosen
solution is most effective
b. provide a recommendation that is
supported by analysis