Law Enforcement Assignment
Imagine that you are a member of Congress. One of your staff assistants brings you a proposal to nationalize law enforcement throughout the United States. The proposal calls for abolishing state police agencies, county sheriffs, and local police departments. A Secretary of Law Enforcement would oversee a national police agency that would have units established in each, state, county, city, and town. Your assistant argues that the new organization would save resources by coordinating the work of every law enforcement officer in the nation and creating a standard set of law enforcement policies and priorities. In addition, the plan would standardize training, salary, and benefits for police officers everywhere. Thus, raising the level of professionalism of the police, especially in small towns and rural areas. Before you decide whether or not to present this proposal to Congress, address the following below:
- Identify and explain any undesirable consequences that could develop from putting this plan into action. Discuss how this will impact the plan.
- Identify and describe the positive aspects of this plan for law enforcement. Discuss how it could impact the future of law enforcement.
- As a politician, you are concerned with how others will react to the plan. Predict how each group below would react and explain why. Voters
- State and local politicians, including elected sheriffs and prosecutors
- Police officers
- Police managers/chiefs
- Are you in support of this proposal? Explain why or why not? Get Social Science help today