Social Change Assignment
Please choose one of the following questions:
1. The reading discusses the efforts to revitalize city areas that have historically been less affluent, the process of gentrification. What are the potential effects of gentrification on the economy and current residents of the neighborhood? NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) protests occur when concerned citizens band together to speak up against something that will impact them negatively. Who is more likely to be involved in NIMBY protests and where do they occur? Give an example of a NIMBY protest and whether you support it or not.
2. Consider what you have learned about collective behavior, social movements, and social change this week. How is the global expansion of social media likely to affect how people pursue social change? How has it done so already? Use specific examples as you analyze social movements, social change, technology, and the media.
The Week 8 Forum meets the following course objectives:
- Apply a sociological perspective to the social world.
- Analyze contemporary social issues using the sociological imagination and use sociological theories and concepts to analyze everyday life.
- Explain collective behavior, social movements, and social change.
Instructions for all Forums:
. This post must demonstrate comprehension of the course materials, the ability to apply that knowledge in the real world. Learners will engage with the instructor and peers throughout the learning week. To motivate engaged discussion, posts are expected to be on time with regular interaction throughout the week. All posts should demonstrate college-level writing skills. To promote vibrant discussion as we would in a face to face classroom, formatted citations and references are not required. Quotes should not be used at all or used sparingly. If you quote source quotation marks should be used and an APA formatted citation and reference provided. Get Social Science help today